I am open to commissioned work in my primary skills: comics, be it both, or just writing or illustration, in black and white or colour. I believe in professionalism, so I am determined to give any commission the same effort as I would my personal work, on time and on budget.
I am currently program director of the Australian Comic Arts Festival which is Australia's premiere event devoted exclusively to gathering Australia's comics creators and fans to discuss comics, the business of making and selling them, gain professional development and network.
I am publisher and managing editor of The Ledger Annual, which is published annually in conjunction with the Ledger Awards. I intend this to become a comprehensive print record of what happened in Australian comics for the previous year, built around what has been judged the best comics produced by Australians.
I am a mentor and manuscript assessor with Comics Mastermind, established by Julie Ditrich to offer professional development and manuscript assistance to comics creators, a service not offered elsewhere in this country.
A relatively comprehensive list of talks, services and exhibitions follows below, which give you an idea of what you can hire me for.
- Publisher, Editor, Fabliaux, 2015 -
- Portfolio holder for Australian Society of Authors Comics and Graphic Novels portfolio, 2013 -
- Mentor/assessor - Comics Mastermind, Sydney, 2016 -
- Speaker - Transitions, University of Birkbeck, London, 2015
- Speaker - Comics Forum, University of Chichester, Leeds, 2015
- Exhibition: An Anzac Myth, Liverpool Library Gallery, Liverpool, 2015
- Sessional tutor: Graphic narratives, level 4 Creative Writing subject, School of Culture and Communication, The University of Melbourne, 2011-2015.
- Master of Design, Monash University, 2009-2015.
- Keynote speaker Inkers & Thinkers Symposium, University of Adelaide, April 2014
- Panellist – Why Study Comics, Ozcomicon, April 2014.
- Organiser of Skinny Arse Comics Launch, Melbourne Writers Festival 2012-14
- Childrens comics making workshops, Linden Centre for Contemporary Arts, 2014.
- Panellist – Under Construction, Melbourne Writers Festival, 2013.
- Comics performer, Draw, Draw Faster, Melbourne Writers Festival, 2013.
- Workshop, ACT writers centre, 2013.
- Panellist – Toronto Comics Arts Festival, 2013.
- Subject in documentary, Graphic Novels! Melbourne! 2012.
- Speaker – University of Art, London, 2012
- Speaker – Loughbourough University, 2012
- GN conference, Oxford University 2012
- ICAF, Portland, OR. 2013 published IJOCA, fall 2013.
- Lunchbox design talks, RMIT, 2013.
- Talk at Monash University, 2012.
- Talk at Edith Cowan University, 2013.
- Workshop, NEXUS Festival, Fairfield Campus, May, 2012.
- Contestant on the Alien Onion Quiz Show at the Homecooked Comics Festival, 28th January, 2012.
- Don’t Feed the Artists, National Gallery of Victoria atrium, Melbourne Writers Festival, 2011.
- Artists talk, NMIT Visual Arts, Preston Campus, September, 2011.
- Panellist, NEXUS Festival, NMIT, Fairfield Campus, May, 2011.
- Expert panellist, Jennifer Byrnes Presents: Graphic Novels, ABC, broadcast, November, 2010.
There is a podcast of my Tv appearance available here for download.
You have to scroll down to: Jennifer Byrnes Presents: Graphic Novels and there are two file options: WMV and MP4.
- Panellist, Drawing Out, Drawing In, Wheeler Centre, April, 2010.